Community Outreach Worker – Family Violence Prevention Centre
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Professional Development opportunities
- Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
- Competitive health, dental and RRSP benefits
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
The Community Outreach Program is part of the Family Violence Prevention Centre and provides support services to those impacted by family violence. A Community Outreach Worker develops supportive, non-judgmental, strength-based relationships with individuals experiencing family violence while providing them with resources, risk assessment, safety planning, advocacy and support to overcome barriers to living a safe and violent free life. The Community Outreach Worker may accompany clients to appointments and civil court.
- Provide ongoing services using a client centered, strength-based approach consistent with agency and program philosophy
- Provide support for individuals to overcome barriers so they can live free from violence
- Conduct intake and risk assessment, safety planning, and ongoing monitoring of risk and safety
- Through SMART Goal planning, provide ongoing support, advocacy, and intervention as required to assist client in meeting their identified goals and needs
- Provide services to clients at locations that meet client and safety needs and accompany clients to appointments and/or court as necessary
- Maintain positive, professional working relationship with colleagues, external agencies and partners
- Participate in agency and community committees
- Participate in core agency training and additional ongoing training opportunities as directed and approved
- Maintain and monitor all file documentation as per program/agency policy
- Maintain accurate and timely data collection, data entry and completion of any program assessments and surveys as per agency and program policy
- Complete monthly agency employee requirements
- Engage in agency activities, unit and staff meetings
- Contribute to overall agency mission, vision, and values
Qualifications / Skills:
- Bachelor of Social Work degree (RSW preferred) or a related Human Services degree and related experience
- Thorough understanding of family violence dynamics and barriers as well as addiction and mental health issues
- Minimum 2 years’ front line experience in delivery of family violence services
- Experience in risk assessment, safety planning and case management
- Familiar with community resources including housing and financial resources, immigration, legal, child and family services
- Knowledgeable and experience in the Family Law Court System
- Professionalism within all aspects of employment and able to contribute to a positive team environment
- Thorough understanding of victimization and the dynamics of domestic violence
- Assessment, interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and engagement skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team
- Valid drivers’ license and reliable vehicle with $2,000,000 liability insurance coverage
- Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and video conferencing platforms)
- Experience with client management database systems
- Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Record Check required
- Fluency in a language other than English would be an asset
Conditions of Employment:
This is a position that works from Monday-Friday, from 8:00AM to 4:30PM. Working from home may be required. The anticipated start date for the position is March 15, 2021. The posting will remain active until a suitable candidate is found.
The starting salary is $49 000 annually.
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter in one pdf file to: email@example.com
Please include 21-002EJHS Community Outreach Worker in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter.
Only those selected for a prescreen will be contacted
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds