Part Time Shift Worker (Donnelly House)
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Professional growth and learning
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Part Time Health Spending Account (based on minimum number of hours)
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about–us/core–values, please consider joining our team.
Donnelly House is a transitional housing program that assists males and females (16 years & over) experiencing homelessness. Donnelly House can support up to 8 individuals at a time and they can stay for up to three months. Donnelly House accepts referrals for clients who may be experiencing the following:
- Homelessness and need a residence while setting up an apartment or income supports
- Waiting to enter a treatment program or returning from a treatment program
- Needing a place to stabilize from addiction use (must be committed to sobriety)
- Coming from Provincial Corrections and have a plan for permanent housing
- Being discharged from acute care without permanent Housing arrangements
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires:
- work hours of 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm–7am shifts – including holidays, weekends, evenings, and awake overnight shifts
- the successful candidate needs to be available for a minimum of 3 shifts/month primarily on holidays and weekends and MUST include 11pm-7am awake overnight shifts
- must be available to complete seven training shifts within a four-week period (scheduled only Monday-Friday)
- the successful candidate must not be working in another congregate site at this time due to COVID-19 pandemic protocols
- frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional lifting
Hourly Wage: The starting hourly wage is $18 per hour. Shift differential will be paid for hours worked between midnight and 6 am.
- Provide support to male and females who are 16 years and older who at risk of homelessness
- Ensure a healthy, safe, and supportive environment while participants are residing in our interim housing
- Maintain and update client files and documentation
- Engage with community resources and partners to provide the best support to clients
- Collaborate within the agency to ensure the program is meetings the needs of the clients
Qualifications / Skills:
- Diploma or Degree in related Human Services Field
- Knowledge of the Harm Reduction Philosophy
- Skills in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to understand and work with cultural differences
- Experience working with diverse populations, including client with mental health issues
- Possess the skills to form professional relationships and gain trust
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR level C and AED certificate Child Intervention Check, and Criminal Record Check
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter by May 10, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include 21-009EJSH Shift Worker- Donnelly House in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds