Part-Time Caseworker (Donnelly House)
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Professional growth and learning
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Part Time Health Spending Account (based on minimum number of hours)
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
Donnelly House is a 24/7 transitional housing program that assists individuals (16 years & over) experiencing homelessness. Donnelly House can support up to 8 individuals at a time. Donnelly House accepts referrals for clients who may be experiencing the following:
- Homelessness and need a residence while setting up an apartment or income supports.
- Waiting to enter a treatment program or returning from a treatment program.
- Needing a place to stabilize from addiction use (must be committed to sobriety).
- Coming from Provincial Corrections and have a plan for permanent housing.
- Being discharged from acute care without permanent Housing arrangements.
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires:
- the successful candidate must be able to work shift work – including holidays, weekends, evenings, and awake overnight shifts and be available for a minimum of 3 shifts per month. The hours of work are 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm–7am (awake) shifts.
- frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional lifting.
- All candidates will be obliged to comply with EJHS’s Mandatory Vaccine Mandate, as a condition of employment.
The starting hourly wage is $19.00 per hour. Shift differential will be paid for hours worked between midnight and 6 am.
- Provide support to individuals who are 16 years and older who at risk of homelessness
- Ensure a healthy, safe, and supportive environment while participants are residing in our transitional housing program
- Engage with community resources and partners to provide the best support to clients
- Collaborate within the agency to ensure the program is meetings the needs of the clients
- Support clients living with Mental Health and Substance Abuse issues by teaching basic living skills, coping skills, and offering support during crisis.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Must be working toward/have obtained a Diploma or Degree in related Human Services Field
- Knowledge of the Harm Reduction Philosophy
- Skills in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to understand and work with cultural differences
- Experience working with diverse populations, including clients with mental health issues and substance abuse issues
- Possess the skills to form professional relationships and gain trust
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR level C and AED
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter by August 20, 2022 to: email@example.com
Please include “22-032EJHS Part Time Caseworker” in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Safety and harmony in our community
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds