Part Time Youth Worker (NOVA)
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
• Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
• Service recognition and employee awards
• Professional Development opportunities
• Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
NOVA provides young people between the ages of 16-24, who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with a safe, affordable and supportive living environment. Operating primarily from a Harm Reduction philosophy, the program provides 20 beds as a low-barrier housing solution to those who are faced with multiple challenges.
• Build collaborative relationships with youth
• Role model life skills, social skills, communication skills and conflict resolution
• Support youth to achieve goals as defined on their individual goal plans
• Encourage youth to engage in healthy lifestyle alternatives
• Completion of accurate written daily documentation, including referrals and intakes
• Maintain a safe, secure environment
• Ensure maintenance and cleanliness of unit and property
• Liaise with guardians, program partners and other professionals
• Maintain positive, professional working relationships with colleagues
• Participate in core agency and additional ongoing training opportunities as directed and approved
• Working towards a degree or diploma in a related human services field
• 6 months experience working with youth
• Knowledge of harm reduction, addictions and strength based philosophy
• Strong communication and relationship building skills
• Able to work within a team and effectively deal with crisis situations
• Able to work shift work including weekends, holidays and awake overnights
• Valid First Aid and CPR certification
• Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check
• General computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
Conditions of Employment:
• Part Time Youth Workers work primarily evenings, weekends and stat holidays.
• Regular shifts at NOVA at 7-3pm, 3-11pm, 6-11pm, and awake overnight 11-7am
• Part Time Youth Workers are required to work a minimum of 4 shifts per month. Shifts vary depending on availability
• The starting hourly wage is $17 per hour.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter electronically by July 7, 2019 to:
Please include 19-021EJHS, Part Time Youth Worker- NOVA in the Subject Line of the email. Please state in your cover letter how you heard about the position.
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds