Our Mission is:
“Through our programs and services, we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime.”
Our Vision is:
“Safety and Harmony in our Community”.
We work with people to eradicate the root causes of crime so we can build a safe, healthy community through:
- promoting an awareness of the problem of crime and its impact on society
- encouraging greater responsibility within the community for crime prevention, and
- providing services to people who are, or have the potential to be, in conflict with the law or who have been victims of crime.
- We believe that every individual has intrinsic worth and has the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- We believe in the potential of all human beings and in their capacity for growth and change.
- We believe that all individuals have the right to live in a safe and peaceful society and that justice is best served through measures that resolve conflict and restore harmony.
- We believe that individuals are responsible for their own actions and must be held accountable for those actions.
- We believe that the root causes of crime are found within communities and that the solutions to crime are also found in communities.
- We believe in serving community needs by cooperating and collaborating to achieve a healthy and safe society.
Cultural Consciousness and Safe Spaces
EJHS employees and volunteers are provided and contribute to a safe and harmonious work environment free of all forms of harassment and discrimination. EJHS focuses on consciousness to encourage curiosity and lifelong learning. We provide Cultural Consciousness and Indigenous Awareness Training to all new staff. For over 20 years, EJHS employees have led our ‘A Celebration of Diversity Committee’ (ACDC) in developing, renewing and living our Cultural Consciousness Plan.
We believe that every individual has intrinsic worth and has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Edmonton John Howard Society is dedicated to preserving a safe environment for our clients and staff that embraces and values the diversity of all individuals, this includes people of all cultures, languages, capacities, sexual orientations, gender identities and or expressions including persons with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) and those who are part of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
EJHS is committed to:
- Fostering a culture of respect, empathy and understanding by promoting awareness and education based on history and experiences
- Providing resources and support for clients, staff, volunteers and students, including access to healthcare, mental heath services, and affinity groups
- Actively collaborating with organizations and individuals who share our commitment to inclusivity and equality
- Keeping our policies, procedures and practices relevant and responsive to community needs
- Implementing and enforcing anti-discrimination policies and procedures