Connecting individuals with the tools and resources they need to achieve their goals
Our Adult Support Services provides free one-on-one support to individuals 16+ on a first come, first served basis. We also offer free programming for employment, anger management, and financial literacy.
These service are based out of our downtown Edmonton office on the first floor.
Adult Support Services:
- Employment support (job boards, resume building, employment prep programming)
- Connections and referrals to appropriate resources
- Record Suspension information & resources
- Release planning
Building Foundations Courses:
- Anger Management
- Financial Literacy
- Employment Preparation
Connect to Adult Support Services:
More information: 780.428.7590
Full Program Details
Adult Support Services
To create a safe and supportive environment for our participants as they begin to make changes in their lives. Adult Support Services is the bridge for our participants to access resources and information, while empowering them to reach their individual goals.
- Is open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Can be accessed by adults with or without justice status.
- Offers long term and short term one on one support.
- Operates on a voluntary basis.
- Adheres to Client Centered, Strength Based and Harm Reduction models.
- Provides a safe and supportive environment.
- Provides supportive conversations to encourage participants to overcome obstacles they may face.
- Provides knowledge of community resources such as; basic needs, housing, legal services, community meals, education, employment preparation and counselling services.
- Helps participants to complete applications (employment, education, identification, funding etc).
- Assists with resume writing, job search, interviewing techniques and follow up practices.
- Support with job maintenance and resolve workplace conflicts.
- Provide ongoing employment support
- Provide weekly Building Foundations Spring Board Hub programs in which participants receive a certificate after completion. Programs include:
- 2 day Anger Management program.
- 1 day Employment Preparation program.
- 1 day Financial Literacy program.
- Knowledgeable in community resources such as, basic needs, housing, legal services, community meals, education, employment programs and counselling services.
- Assists with appropriate community referrals.
- Encourages and teaches participants to advocate for themselves.
- Works in collaboration with other community agencies to provide comprehensive support.
- Provide information on Record Suspensions.
- Assistance with Record Suspension application process.
- Assists with pre and post release planning for those transitioning from Federal or Provincial prison systems into the community.
- Provides pre-release planning packages and community resources.
- Provides institutional supports to incarcerated persons (via telephone).
- Provide supports to friends and family members who have loved ones incarcerated or involved in the criminal justice system.
Hours of Operation…
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Open- 8:30am – 11:30am
Edmonton Remand Centre Programming
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following programming in the Edmonton Remand Centre: Anger Management, Financial Literacy, Resume Development, Employment Preparation, and Pre-release Planning.