Justice Support Worker (Nalah Centre)
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Professional Development opportunities
- Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
- Competitive health, dental and RRSP benefits
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
The Justice Support Worker provides ongoing coordinated services to victims of intimate partner violence. This role ensures every victim has access to effective, professional, ongoing client centred support, and a voice while going through the domestic violence criminal court process. The Justice Support Worker is responsible for daily management of their assigned caseload while ensuring the Nalah Centre protocols are followed and incorporated into daily case management and file management practice. The Justice Support Worker ensures victims have updates on court proceedings, and access to resources, supports and services.
- Engage with clients over the phone;
- Deliver ongoing services using a client centered, strength based approach consistent with agency and program philosophy;
- Maintain accurate and timely data collection, data entry and completion of any program assessments and surveys as per agency and program policy;
- Support clients throughout the criminal justice process, including court updates and/or changes throughout the court process;
- Act as the client’s voice in the court conferencing and provide partners with relevant information;
- Develop and monitor safety planning;
- Provide information on the impact of family violence has on individuals and children;
- Provide referrals to other resources as appropriate;
- Liaise with Crown Prosecutors’ Office and DAHRT Social Workers;
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with community services and partners within domestic violence sector;
- Other duties as directed by
Qualifications / Skills:
- Degree in Social Work, Criminal Justice field or a related human services field with 2 years’ experience in working with victims of family violence. Diploma education in a related discipline with a minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience;
- Experience with call management and providing over the phone services;
- Strong assessment, interpersonal, written and verbal communication and engagement skills;
- Experience/competency working with law enforcement, child and family services and/or the justice systems;
- Professionalism within all aspects of employment and able to contribute to a positive team environment;
- Thorough understanding of victimization and the dynamics of domestic violence;
- Comprehensive understanding of criminal law process and court terminology;
- Experience working with Indigenous and ethno-cultural communities and providing culturally relevant services;
- Knowledge of community resources and experience accessing resources;
- Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and video conferencing platforms);
- Motivational interviewing skills;
- Criminal Records Check and Child Interventions Record Check;
- Proficiency in speaking a secondary language is considered an
Conditions of Employment: The hours of work of from 8AM to 4:30PM, Monday to Friday, at Edmonton John Howard #401, 10010 105 Street. The start date will be as soon as possible. The closing date is until a suitable candidate is found.
- All candidates will be obliged to comply with EJHS’s Mandatory Vaccine Mandate, as a condition of
Salary: The starting salary is $47 000 annually.
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter in one PDF document to: email@example.com
Please include 21-034EJHS, Justice Support Worker in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds