Part Time Shift Worker – Independence Apartments
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Professional growth and learning
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Part Time Health Spending Account (based on minimum number of hours)
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
Independence Apartments is a Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF) and a program of Edmonton John Howard Society. Its’ primary focus is to assist adult males in making a successful transition from federal institutions to living a responsible community life. Halfway House Services provides community supervision of clients while at the same time, providing one to one support for their transition into the community.
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires:
- frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional
- Shift work with work hours of 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm–7am – including holidays, weekends, evenings, and awake overnight shifts
- the successful candidate needs to be available for a minimum of 6 shifts/month primarily on holidays and weekends and MUST include 11pm-7am awake overnight shifts
- must be available to complete seven training shifts within a four-week period (scheduled only Monday-Friday)
- EJHS has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy
Hourly Wage: The starting hourly wage is $18 per hour. Shift differential will be paid for hours worked between midnight and 6 am.
- Interact with, observe, and document resident behaviour, progress or deterioration
- Maintain file and supervision standards set by the Edmonton John Howard Society and Correctional Services of Canada
- Liaison with Parole Officers, Edmonton City Police and various other treatment professionals
- Attend client case conferences, unit and agency meetings, and staff trainings
- Care and control of the CBRF while on shift
Qualifications / Skills:
- Related post-secondary education
- Ability to understand the dynamics of offenders’ behaviour and assess their needs and risks
- The skills to counsel offenders, form effective relationships, and gain trust
- The skills to understand the use of authority in supervision and to intervene effectively in crisis situations
- The ability to assist offenders in identifying and solving the practical problems involved in their successful reintegration into the community
- Skills in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to understand and work with cultural differences
- Experience working with diverse populations, including client with mental health issues
- Possess the skills to form professional relationships and gain trust
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Experience contributing to a positive team environment
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR level C certificate
- An enhanced reliability screening clearance
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date is until suitable candidates are found. Please include 21-029EJHS, Part Time Shift Worker- IA in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds