Part Time Youth Worker (NOVA)
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Professional growth and learning
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Part Time Health Spending Account (based on minimum number of hours
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
NOVA provides young people between the ages of sixteen to twenty four, who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with a safe, affordable and supportive living environment. Operating primarily from a Harm Reduction philosophy, the program provides 20 beds as a low-barrier housing solution to those who are faced with multiple challenges.
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires:
- Shift work including holidays, weekends, evenings, and awake overnight shifts and be available for a minimum of 4 shifts per month.
- The shift times are 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm–7am shifts
- Frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional lifting
- Please note all NOVA employment contracts are signed for a 1-year term with a potential of renewal • All candidates will be obliged to comply with EJHS’s Mandatory Vaccine Mandate, as a condition of employment.
The starting hourly wage is $19 per hour. Shift differential will be paid for hours worked between midnight and 6 am.
- Build collaborative relationships with youth
- Role model life skills, social skills, communication skills and conflict resolution
- Support youth to achieve goals as defined on their individual goal plans
- Encourage youth to engage in healthy lifestyle alternatives
- Completion of accurate written daily documentation, including referrals and intakes
- Maintain a safe, secure environment
- Ensure maintenance and cleanliness of unit and property
- Liaise with guardians, program partners and other professionals
- Maintain positive, professional working relationships with colleagues
- Participate in core agency and additional ongoing training opportunities as directed and approved
Qualifications / Skills:
- Working towards a degree or diploma in a related human services field
- 6 months experience working with youth
- Knowledge of harm reduction, addictions and strength based philosophy
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Able to work within a team and effectively deal with crisis situations
- Able to work shift work including weekends, holidays and awake overnights
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check
- General computer knowledge using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please include “23-008EJHS Part Time Youth Worker- NOVA” in the Subject Line of the email. Please include how you heard about the position in the cover letter. This posting will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Safety and harmony in our community
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds